Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine's Day?



Me and my big mouth. So, just the day before I was yapping on and on about how the sun was out and that it would be a definite goodbye to the rains...I was wrong.
It rained just as it had been the past week, though, the sun did make it's appearances now and again. I didn't even have anything worthwhile to keep me busy indoors (I say that as if I go outdoors), seeing as I've already finished four seasons of Merlin!
A real bummer that they don't air that show here...not that I can tell you how I managed to watch the show...because then, I'd have to kill you
Ninja.
Anyway, with Uni still on break and my days spent stalkin- uh, I mean, casually browsing through face book and twitter, I've now just realized that it's Feb! We all know what that means? The build up to St. Valentine's day.
St.Valentine, according to the legends, was a priest who secretly married couples during a time when the men had to stay unattached so that they could go to war. Or something like that... go google it.
 I've never understood why it's so big of a deal, I mean, if you love someone, you can't be waiting for that day in Feb to show her..or him. I understand buying roses and chocolates every day and night would probably bankrupt you and get boring, but jeez, get original with your proclamations of love! Do you HAVE to buy her roses? What about a hibiscus flower? Or some dandelions? Or tiger orchids! 
I remember back in primary school, we had to pick flowers for an experiment. The tiger orchid had a pee scent.... maybe you shouldn't get a tiger orchid after all?
Does it HAVE to be flowers? Why not something else from the natural environment that's beautiful?
"My love....I picked up this stone for you. I hope you'll like it."
If she/he really loves you, it's the thought that counts...just make sure it's a pretty stone.
As for chocolates...well, really, save yourself from having to go through the, "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" phase.
Buy her carrots. They're healthier.
What about diamonds? Meh. Everyone knows diamonds are just a series of 4 carbon atoms attached in a giant covalent structure (Chemistry anyone?)
If you can't give her diamonds, there's another form of carbon. Charcoal. Carve a ring out of it or something. Throw in a few stickers.
You didn't see the chick from Count of Monte Cristo complain when she was proposed to with a small string for a ring. See! That's true love!
So remember, everyone, don't lower love down to a materialistic value. Make this valentines a special one, you can't buy love, so just give it to someone deserving.



0 comments:

Post a Comment